Thursday, March 6, 2008

Swimming Lessons

My daughters are currently taking swimming lessons. They are loving it. Swimming lessons are at 4:30 p.m. twice a week. 4:30 p.m. Late afternoon. At 10:00 a.m. on swimming lesson day, my youngest comes up to us, (her parents). "Is is time to go get sissy (her sister) from school so we can go to swimming lessons?" Did I mention it was 10:00 a.m? I turned to my husband, "It's going to be a long day." And it was.

Strange behavior considering I hated swimming lessons as a kid. I think hate is perhaps not a strong enough word. I detested swimming lessons with every part of my body and soul. When I was very young, my mother would take us to her sister's house where we would stay and take swimming lessons during the week and she would come get us on the weekend. I think our small town, swimming pool-less as it was, did not offer lessons. 

My cousin Rich had the job of getting me ready for swimming lessons each morning. I remember having a brown swimming suit. I think it had owls on it (it was the '70s, mind you). I have distinct memories of running away from my poor cousin, Rich. I remember hiding in his closet and under the bed while he held out my swimming suit, hoping I'd get into it willingly. No chance. 

Funny too, that I eventually learned to swim and today it is one of my great enjoyments in life. I swim laps from time to time with my friends Lauren and Janet. The friendship is great. The swimming is wonderful. Go figure. 

4 comments:

Damama T said...

I'm so glad you're back. I've been worried about you. And praying for you.

Do you think that maybe the reason you hated the swimming lessons is that they represented forced time away from your mom? And what little girl would want her boy cousin dressing her anyway? No wonder you hid in the closet!

It's great that you didn't NOT put your girls in swimming lessons just because you hated it as a kid. It's even greater that you have friends you can enjoy some laps with.

It's even greater-er-er that you are writing again. Missed ya! xoxoxo

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

I, too, hated swimming lessons. Until I learned to swim but I nearly drowned, one foot away from the edge of the pool. Or I THOUGHT I was going to drown, I actually watched the instructor get ready to jump in and save me, as I surfaced the third time, gulping water.

I am glad the kids are loving the lessons.

I am glad you are back, even if you are still worrying. It helps me that you are back. If you can do it, I can do it too. We are strong together.

Fold up the umbrella and let God's love take care of you and your husband and listen...always listen for that still, small voice. That's one of the things I prayed for in family prayer tonight, that we would be showered with God's love and inspirationa and have the good sense to listen.

Catherine said...

"The swimming is wonderful" I entirely agree. The easiest sport to practice! But one of the most difficult to learn as a child. It asks for a good coordination, a new way to breathe,go past one's fear of water. Not so easy. When I have attended my children's swimming lessons, I realized how difficult it was to teach coordinated movements, and how patient the teacher had to be! The entire success depends on the teachers,in my opinion.
Happy to read you again.

Catherine said...

Where are you?
Have you gone swimming in Australia ;)
We're waiting for you.