Monday, January 7, 2008

Skookies & Cream

Tonight is Monday night. In the LDS church, that means it's family home evening. Now don't get me wrong. While we are devout Mormons, family home evening is not something we're good at. At all. While it's a great concept, it's sort of like flossing: we know it's good for us, we just don't do it as often as we should.

Tonight, though, we actually had family home evening. We forgot the prayer and there was no lesson or singing of church hymns. Instead we played Operation. We got Operation for Christmas. As a child in the 70s, I loved Operation. I loved how Cavity Sam's nose would light up like Rudolph's and you could make tiny sparks by touching the metal edges. I was always best at removing the butterfly from the stomach. Even tonight, it gave me the least amount of trouble.  My seven-year-old loved Operation, though perhaps not quite as much as a co-worker of my husband's. (He has the Operation game pieces tattooed on his own corresponding body parts). My four-year-old didn't enjoy it as much. The buzzing noise and light-up nose scared her so much that she spent most of the time curled up next to me. She watched intently, but kept her distance and flinched every time the game buzzed. 

After the game, we ate Skookies. We received a Skookie set from my brother and sister-in-law for Christmas. We love it. It's been so fun. Tonight we had a brownie skookie topped with ice cream and chocolate sauce. Delicious. I see that they even have heart-shaped skookie skillets. How fun would that be for Valentine's Day? 

Overall, our attempt at family home evening was a success. Skookies, ice cream, and Operation. Not bad, not bad. 


6 comments:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Thank you, my dear friend. I LOVE the blog. I love you. You will enjoy this, you really will and it will force you to write every day. Make a rule to write every day, even if it's just a little.

Post some of your started novels. The public will send them to their publisher friends and the publishers will write, saying, "When can I see a completed manuscript?" And you will be rich and famous before you know it.

Cindy Price said...

Great start on your blog!! I learned something new. I have never ever heard of a skookie before!!

They sound very yummy.

I look forward to reading more on your blog!!

Chaotic Joy said...

Came over from Lynne's. Welcome to blogging. Love your title and description. IT was fun to read about your family night. And I too have never heard of Skookies.

Hey it's Amy Benson said...

Hi~ nice to meet you! you are so gonna love blogging! :D stop by and visit me if you like. I'm LDS too. We went to the Gym for FHE last night...
yours sounded nice!

Unknown said...

Lynne said to drop by and I do as I am told.
Keep up the good writing.

Janet said...

Okay - I want to come over for skookies. I used to love operation. Welcome to blogging.